Saturday, March 28, 2009

Easter Topiary Tutorial

A little egg, leaves, grape vine, moss and kazzam a sweet and economical (REALLY CHEAP) Easter topiary!





I first saw an Easter Topiary like this at Freddy's, and I fell in love. I knew I would be able to make it for much, much less than the retail price. So I went next door to the dollar store and looked for goodies that would help me make the topiary. Total cost for this was $5.00. I was so excited when I was done that I decided to do a tutorial. If you have any questions just let me know!



1. Use a sphere of foam and cover it with moss. Joys of Home has a great tutorial here.




2. Stick three wooden long bamboo skewer on the bottom of moss ball. Make sure it is centered. As you can see there is still foam poking through my ball. It okay, you will cover that up with other things.



3. Now before you stick the tree into your floral foam, cover the skewers with green floral tape. I didn't do this and I had to use a new floral foam cube. If it doesn't seem very secure glue it in place with a glue gun.




4. The next few steps use the glue gun a lot. So plug that bad boy in!



5. Glue on your eggs. Now I recommend using the mini eggs for this project. They fit better with the size of the moss ball. These were $1.50 for 24 eggs. I will probably put up a tutorial for making these eggs. Yes I know I'm cheap, but a girls gotta be right now. I place them around randomly and used about 20 eggs. The first time I made the tree I used ten eggs, which turned out badly, so I recommend using at least 20 mini eggs.





6. The next step is optional. I took some branches from outside and spray painted them brown. I then cut the branch into smaller sticks and used it as a filler. I wanted it to be very full and tangle. I then took little green balls and glued them to cut ends to make it look like tree buds on the branch.





7. Then I added some regular old leaves and glued them right onto the tree to make it even more full.



8. This is what I ended up with.





9. The last step is using floral picks and tacking grape vine to the tree top. I first used a hot glue gun, but the grape vine wouldn't stick to the tree. If you don't have floral picks, just use a toothpick and wrap one end with some wire, leaving a tail of wire to wrap around your grape vine.





9. Wrap the wire around the end of the vine securely, and push it into the tree top. I like to place it in the bottom. I had to push this pretty hard, but don't worry your sticks shouldn't break.





10. Here is a pic of me pushing it through the tree top. I did this several times, for a full effect.



Viola! A way fun inexpensive Easter Topiary!


f you have any questions just leave me a comment and I will get back to you. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment